oquoson is the oldest continuously named city in Virginia. The term "poquoson" was used to describe a boundary line between 2 elevated tracts of land. Such a boundary contained a stream, river, or creek with its adjoining marsh which lay between 2 tracts of higher ground Poquoson was used as a common noun and is found in many deeds along the eastern seaboard. Through the years the term became a proper noun for the land that lies between 2 such poquosons - the Old Poquoson River and the New Poquoson River.
The first mention of Poquoson was in Captain Christopher Calthrope land grant issued by a court in Elizabeth City on April 26, 1631. Three years later the Poquoson Parish was named as a beneficiary in the will of Benjamin Symms for "a free school to educate and teach the children of Elizabeth City and Poquoson." This New Poquoson Parish originally included the areas known today as Poquoson, Tabb, Grafton, Dare, and Seaford.
The southern portion of the Poquoson Districk in York County was incorporated in 1952 to retain control over its schools. The city form of government was adopted in 1975. Mrs. Carroll Lee (Peggy) Moore III is the designer of the City logo. Her entry was judged the best in a contest during the National Bicentennial Celebration.